Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
you'd think the manufacturer(s) would want to share polars to sell more boats (which would also reduce the chance of sandbagging for a sweet number).

But yes, comparing foiling vs. non-foiling is even worse than mono- vs. multiuhull.

What did the moth class, and to some extent the A-class, do when their boats started foiling? Did they come up with some handicap or just split the fleets entirely?

Moth and A class are one design/box rule , there is no handicap.The PN is the same, no matter what. Foils rate the same as non-foilers.
Saying foilers vs.non-foilers is worse than Mono vs multi is dead wrong, I'd love to hear the rationale behind that statement. Foiling boats aren't the
X-Calibur of cats, they optimize decent pressure downwind performance at a sacrifice (drag) to upwind and light air performance. These are early days still for foiling boats and this will be the first stateside distance race with them in it. There needs to be region (North America) specific results to come up with a number. Give them a chance, if it's still wrong then go burn down your CVS. It's really immaterial anyway, they aren't even being scored in the race, just match racing each other.It seemed last year that the F-20c number was fairly arbitray. I'm not sure how much re-calculation gets done since Darlene passed away. Maybe Craig could score ,unofficially, with other programs too. Such as
SCHRS (?) or Texel, I'm sure that's just what he needs is more work, but it could be done post facto or by someone else. Maybe Mark Schneider, he DOES know his scoring stuff. Timbo the measurement rule you asked about that would measure everything is PHRF and we DO NOT want to go down that road.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White