Rating systems...yes they suck. Can they be fixed no, but they can be improved? How you ask? Well it is easy, you got to fix it yourself. The problem is us, you, me and them. As mentioned on this thread earlier. Everyone wants someone else to do the work so "we" can sail. If everyone who posted on this thread, flew to the US Sailing meetings and showed up every time to get the ratings "corrected" then they would be changed. What is the likely hood of that? It can be done and we could get it to work better.
Just for a second lets imagine that we did just that. Now fast forward 2 years from now. Would the rates be correct? The answer to that would depend on who answered the question. Lets say 10 of us went to all the meetings and hashed out a solution (read compromise). We would likely still have 10 different opinions on what would be "correct". Now throw into the mix, that this group is now the DPN "fixers", when are you going to fix the sunfish rating? Thistle, highlander, Flying Scot, Laser, foiling laser, San Juan 21, the Rainbow 24, that damn Melges 24. etc., etc.
Face it Catamarans are small fish in a big pond. Add to the equation, none of us want to go to the meetings and go through all the Bul..hit.
I am just as guilty as everyone else. In my earlier days I did go to a lot of the meetings. I did learn how it all worked. It is neither good or bad, as all it is, are volunteers trying to push for their interest. We do not push for ours enough, so we do not get much attention.
Are the rating systems wrong? No question. They all are, most do not know just how wrong they are.
Can they be fixed? They can be improved, but never "fixed". Mainly because we do not have anywhere near the capability to include all the variables to accurately compare 2 different vessels and never will.
So the system is mostly a political one, as they all are. If you think one is using just math data to calculate ratings and that it would be correct, then you can easily be fooled. There are just too many variables. It can be improved, but who is going to do it?
Now, back to that volunteer who will not return our emails...
By the way how do we rate a foiling kite board that is going to race us?
The easy answer to the original question, is no that rating is wrong. So are all the other boats, too.
By the way, if someone takes the lead, I would be willing to join the "10" going to "fix" the rating systems. Otherwise I will see you out on the water.
Cheers