Originally Posted by brucat

As for moving to a different system, again, who is going to make it happen and continue to administer it? More importantly, and I've been calling you out on this here for eons, why hasn't anyone taken a set of race data and crunched it through each of the systems to see if it actually changes anything? And if it does, should it?

Before you say that changing systems will improve dealing with new boats, it will only replace one problem with another. PN works for the most part, but the committee needs some new blood to get it back on track. The other systems will need measurers and administrators, and a lot of setup, communication and promotion, in addition to just new blood.

The grass isn't always greener. Has anyone asked sailors, OAs and RCs using the other systems for their thoughts on the pros and cons of each?

Mike

Originally Posted by Jake
no handicap system is ever going to be perfect. Ever. With that in mind, here are how the two systems compare:

In SCHRS, F18 is the scratch boat. It's correction factor is 1 and everything else is based off it. Acat and F16 (2up) are rated the same). It's a little tough to compare them because the resulting correcting factors are a bit different.

To really compare the ratings, I've flipped around the formulas so that we are comparing them based off an elapsed time of 30 minutes for the F18...basically making it the scratch boat in both systems. I then took that corrected finished time and backed out the other boats elapsed times as if they all perfectly tied on the handicap corrected times.

Anybody step in here if I screwed this up - I didn't double check these numbers. (the code window maintains spacing in the table that would otherwise be ignored by the forum software)

Code
           Elapsed      SCHRS   Corrected
Acat       00:30:03.6   1.002   00:30:00.0
F16 (2)    00:30:03.6   1.002   00:30:00.0
F18        00:30:00.0   1       00:30:00.0
H16        00:34:21.0   1.145   00:30:00.0

Under portsmouth, again, normalized so the F18 has an actual 30 minute elapsed time and backing out the other boat's elapsed times assuming a handicapped tie, we have the following for Portsmouth/DPN. You can really ignore the value of the "corrected" times. All that matters is that the end result is a tie between the boats where the F18 ran the same length race in both scoring systems.

Code
           Elapsed      DPN     Corrected
Acat       00:31:00.8   64.5    00:48:05
F16 (2)    00:30:17.6   63      00:48:05
F18        00:30:00.2   62.4    00:48:05
H16        00:36:32.6   76      00:48:05

So, in this case, Portsmouth is considerably different on the ratings and makes it harder on the F18 (I'm biased anyway). Also notable is that the Acat and F16 (2up) are rated differently under Portsmouth but considered equal under SCHRS.

Under Portsmouth, the F18 would need to beat the F16 by 18 seconds to correct over them. SCHRS says it only needs to be 4 seconds.

Under Portsmouth, the F18 would need to beat the A-cat by right at 1 minute in a 30 minute race to correct ahead of them. Under SCHRS, it's only 4 seconds.

Under Portsmouth, the F18 would need to be 6:33 seconds ahead of the Hobie 16 to take the win. Under SCHRS, the F18 would need to be ahead by 4:21 to take the win.

In summary, SCHRS seems to rate the boats significantly closer together than Portsmouth does. Frankly, I think the existing Portsmouth numbers are closer to reality than SCHRS.