Originally Posted by brucat
Craig, I don't know why you keep using the word "mandated" when referring to the PN. For ANY rating system, the numbers have to be assigned by a central authority or there's no hope at all for the system to have credibility. Sounds like you disagree with the number that was issued, which is OK, but I have two questions: Wasn't that number assigned based on sailor input and/or EU data? When you finished the race, did you provide the race time data and subjective feedback to the PN committee?Mike

We are US Sailing Members, when I get sent an email a few days before an event marked as "High Priority" stating that "The only way to change these numbers is to provide accurate race results for analysis." seems to me a mandate.

The problem is not whether or not I agree. The problem was timing and it came days after I specifically requested no further updates until after our event.

As far as where they came up with the numbers. If you read the email you were copied on (5/14/14), you will find the following requested from and answered by a boat owner:
C - 2
D - 165kg
LOA - 20 ft (6.096m)
LWL - 20 ft (6.096m)
SA - Main 21 sq/m,
* Crew weight 165 kg use Jib 5.2 sq/m, Spin 28sq/m (we will be using this sail area combination)
* Crew weight 125kg -155kg use Jib 4.34sq/m, Spin 25sq/m
Beam - 10.5 ft (3.2m)
SCHRS Data - I couldn't cut and past it correctly - Here's the link - http://www.schrs.com/ratings.php

This whole deal has really pissed me off. Even after I have requested numerous times to have the "Provisional Rating" posted to the Portsmouth table, it has never been done. All the results from the beginning of the sail series (2004-Dave Ingram Champion to present) are posted on the SailSeries.com. Not all of the times have been posted for each race because they were taken from various organizations. It was not till last year we have actually managed events.

Here is the deal. If US Sailing posts the provisional ratings they wanted me to enforce and were never posted, I will send them all of the results from last year and future results as long as they post ratings they want me to uphold. If they continually ignore my emails, there is no reason to send them any additional information. To go a step further, we will adopt a different rating system.

By sending us Portsmouth ratings and not posting them, other clubs will use what they have used in the past because there is nothing official. By telling us to use different ratings and not making them official (posting them), you make us lose credibility and justly so.

I would rather spend more time working on my boat than this whole political BS.

Last edited by cyberspeed; 05/03/15 10:28 PM.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com