Here is a thought. Use the Multihull Committee of US Sailing as the vehicle to "validate" the multihull numbers and tell the Portsmouth committee to use them. In the meantime, the races and race committees can use the numbers develop for our races. As a race committee person I can tell you if the sailors agree to the rating used for their boats, then I would have no problem running that race.
I can tell you I have big problems with "data" selected from "races".
Here is my problem from race results. A) I have rarely raced in a sailboat race where the wind was consistent. Either direction or speed always changed. All of the rating systems make that a central assumption. This makes rating boat accurately almost impossible. In a fleet of 10 one design boats there can be a 30 minute difference between the first boat and the last boat. Is the first boat get used for the "correct" rating? Now we have one Hobie 16 racing some other boats and he gets his data uses as if he was first. Was the sailor of that H16 of the same level as the sailor of the 1st one design sailor or the last? This is how results get loaded and it leads to a lot of variance and then we are into the land of false belief.
Thoughts?