I have several theories about this, but not one of them includes Mike Worrell deliberately trying to defraud people or destroy the race that he loved so much.

Not to beat a really dead and rotting horse, but I have to agree with Mary. The theory that MW would purposly scam a bunch of sailors out of maybe, $150,000 and in the course of doing this destroy the race he started 20 years ago, kill off his main source of income and simultaniously destroy his family name is preposterous.

Do other details really matter? The overall picture is pretty clear: Mike Worrell screwed up, found himself without the funds to put on the event or repay the competitors or other debtors, then compounded the problem by unilaterally (the way he did everything) pulling the plug just days before the start.

Not long ago Mike contacted me and wanted me to write a story about a comback he was planning (and wanted final editing rights to the story, which I would not give him). He wouldn't provide clear details, but the implication was it involved a Hollywood-based television producer and a reality TV show. Obviously this never got off the ground.

H-20 #896