Mark, I hope that the things I have brought up will help you in planning and organizing, because they are the kinds of things that other people will also ask to determine the credibility of both you and the event.

Specifically in terms of you participating in the event, my question would be: Will there be a rule that does not allow any team to participate more than once in the elimination rounds?

For all we know, you are a hotshot sailor who is going to clean up on this financially -- or at least be able to use some of the regatta registration money to make it possible for you to pay to participate in enough of the elimination events to get into the finals. Or maybe even ALL of the elimination events even AFTER you have qualified, just so you can win the smaller prize monies, too.

And even if you DO make a rule that everyone can only participate once, since you are the organizer and are able to decide what teams are going to be in the various eliminations, it would be easy for you to decide to schedule yourself in an elimination that has a bunch of "losers." You know what I mean?

Just something to think about, that other people might think about. That is why I said it is a conflict of interest for the organizer to be sailing in a money regatta. And that is why I said, "Do the math."

Sounds like a good deal to me -- let other people pay my entry fee into nine regattas.

As I have already said, I think you are sincere in your mission, but you have a long way to go to establish credibility. And I know I am not helping much.

Yes Mary,
Many of these things that both you and others have posted, have been most constructive, helpful and useful, in continued planning on this event, and organizing it in a manner that hopefully in the final draft will be satisfactory to those who enter. You are most certainly correct when you state, it will be the kinds of things asked and requested of me, this was one of my reasons in continuing with this thread when it changed from the question I originally asked, to picking apart my own event, changes are already in progress on it, thanks to feedback found on this terrific site.

In review of the stats to date from this site on the Question I originally asked: worrell 1000?
1359 persons visited the post on your site
67 including all my posts responded with their thoughts, opinions, feedback, concerns, assistance of knowledge, suggestions etc.
some 667 persons to date from this site visited mine to at least check it out, to form their own thoughts or interest on the event.

There is more but in short, this at least tells me there is a interest in this type of event, but for the most part those interested want more concrete, credible details and assurances, prior to taking a few minutes to fill out a form, even if that form is nothing more than saying, hey I would attend, reserve me a place. I do intend to provide this and much more.

Mary you asked
Specifically in terms of you participating in the event, my question would be: Will there be a rule that does not allow any team to participate more than once in the elimination rounds? Yes, this is a good rule, your point is well noted, and I will include this in the "official notice of race", once it come out.

Yes I do know what you mean, It is impossible for me to decide who my elimination race opponents are, I am simply unable to decide who races where and in what eliminination round, for the following reason. The reservation form on the site Is for planning purposes for the racer, as well lets us know who is interested in attending. To explain what happens here is this, when filling out the form you are required to check off an eliminations round date, this you would pick based on your own life schedule, now what happens when you complete and submit (it only submits if all fields are entered) this form, is a reservation number is issued back to you on the eliminations round you choose (not me) if by chance the maximum number of racers is achieved (12 entrants per eliminations) you will receive a request to do one of two things, stay on that date in the reserve, overflow or to choose within 24 hours a different date, the reason for the 24 hrs is that it protects that persons rights, of first come first served.
Ok so why a reserve or overflow? anticipating a question here
The reason for this is due to no money being required at this time and that the event must have the 120 entrants to proceed with the race, nothing under nothing over.
ex. Say we have 120 interested persons wishing to attend, they filled the form received their reservations, all looks great, until January or February rolls around and the interested parties now have to pay a 20% deposit, this they will have 72 hours to do. After the 72 hour period we move along to the next number in that overflow for that eliminations in the series the numbers were received. But with no overflow to replace those who do not follow through, change their minds, or can't make it for whatever reason, this leaves a problem as its 120 or none. The last thing I want to do Is collect 20% from people having them send it directly to a bank trustee, the issuer of the prizes, and have to go back to him and ask him to return everyone money, having to cancel a event due to cancellations. Oh just a note I will be racing in the first eliminations, I am not any kind of known pro, but I am a good sailor, love the sport, competition and a challenge. I can say 3 years running I am the best my lake has to offer, at least until beaten in our annual challenge, should any of my local competition come across this.

Mary you said,
As I have already said, I think you are sincere in your mission, but you have a long way to go to establish credibility. And I know I am not helping much.
Yes, I trust you are right on this, it is only my hope to overcome this, and establish the required credibility, I thankyou, its all good

Last edited by sail2007; 11/06/06 02:59 AM.