Ok, I've sat, I've watched the train wreck.... now... guess I'll jump back in.

I personally drive my guzzler b/c I have three horses weighing 1,350, 1,100 and 1,200 (still growing) lbs. If I didn't, I wouldn't own the thing. I like being one of the biggest vehicles on the road, but... The real problem is all the "soccer moms" who drive them as status symbols. I actually need my truck, most ppl don't.

Next, Maug if you think that fuel taxes are such a waste, realize that the majority of that money goes to two things. Infrastructure (roads) and cleanup for fuel related incidents. If you go to most gas stations, there is a sticker that tells you how much tax was put on your fuel and breaks it down between fed and state. The state gov gets HUGE quantities of money for road projects from the federal gov. That is part of the reason that we have the speed limits we do. If a state wants to set it's own at 90mph, they can, however they forfeit all the fed subsides for their road maintenance. Also, the cleanup of fuel spills is big business and much needed. If you knew what was sitting under the ground of the majority of gas stations in the US, you would be SHOCKED. Personally what pisses me off is social security and welfare, they can tax the gas. I would MUCH rather see that money go into my 401k to support me latter than into a bottomless hole where I will never see it again. Also, I have heard rumors of taxing hybrids at a higher rate b/c they are not "paying for their use" of the roads like the rest of us.

Last, REAL hot button issue. I work for a HUGE defense contractor, we make environmental software for the DoD. I do nothing but air emissions work now. You want to get some people riled up my office, bring up global warming. Let me sum it up, man-made global warming is a CROCK OF SH*T!!!. If you believe in it, explain to me how a gas that makes up ~2.5% of the total "greenhouse" effect has caused the change that we see? Let's also consider that humans only emit ~3.4% of the TOTAL CO2 emitted into the atmosphere. A good link that sums a lot of data up.

http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

It's not us that is causing this.

Off my soap box.

Last edited by Will_R; 11/13/06 02:40 PM.