Lots of people see a bigger picture. Some even reason that a new class, which might introduce young sailors to the sport, may have lots of beneficial side effects for the sport, making more money among them. A new hight tech 14ftr might just encourage young ppl to take up cat racing. What if every cat club in the world owned a decent 14ftr and made it available to their new recruits, wouldn't that be terrible. No respect among peers? What the heck is that??

Berny

There was quite a discussion about youth sailing earlier in the year revolving around F12 to some extent, in that time I found it wasn't feasable to have extra classes in our club. I have bought 2 x 420's for the kids to sail which has encouraged 3 other 420's to be purchased and will sail shortly. So now due to a small start we have a 5 kids boat fleet in a club where we only have 7 adult boats racing. Don't loose heart in the 14 berny because the kids generally find the speed of the 420 boring and want their own A. Our aim as a club is to tip them into Cats as soon as they are big enough the biggest problem really is the cost so keep those molds somewhere safe because our club now has 17 kids under 15 wanting a fast boat like the adults. Before sending them to the tip I would take them and store them for others and hopefully build a number for our club. I know you are going to hate this question but as a cheap entry into cats for a 420 owner, would the hulls perform reasonably with the mast and sails off the 420? until the kid was big enough and the adult financial enough to go to the full F14 rigging. regards Jeff

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576