We already have two very nice [if I say so myself] 14ft cats in the 430 and the AO. The problem is not so much with the length, [12ft or 14ft makes little difference], but with functionality. In this regard, weight and sail area are more critical. What is more desirable, a 12ft roto moulded heavy slug or a 14ft glass/resin rocket which is already available = no development costs?
These current boats could be offered with optional rigs. Say a smaller rig for entry level which can be replaced with a full size cat rig to keep pace with sailor skill levels and on going through to full blown F14 rig, all on the same platform. Has to be more appealing to the funds provider to have a boat which could be campaigned over an extended period.
We could make provision for these 'tuned down' versions in our 14ft regattas, which brings up another important point. Where will these boats be sailed other than at 14ft regattas [two only in Oz I'm aware of] or club level?
It's totally useless to make a 12ft or 14ft cat available if there's nowhere to race the things.

Cat sailors generally, are only interested in bigger boats and can't really be bothered with small cats at regattas. And it gets worse with the current trend to run only windward leeward courses for the 'formula' boats which leaves non spi boats with nowhere to race!
Small cats have always been looked on with disdain here and I don't see much happening in the near future to change that.

Berny

Last edited by Berny; 11/12/07 11:32 PM.