The starting point is not the boat design itself, but a work plan.

The start of the work plan is a market survey. We should start surveying kids, parents and teachers in the Optimist class what they'd expect and like to see in a modern boat to replace the Optimist.

The goal is to compete with the Optimist in the same market niche, so we should think and act as developers of a new entry boat to replace -with advantages- the old monohull trainer.

One example of a common design mistake: kids sail "inside" the Optimist and "over" cats like those in the photos. I bet parents prefer a boat where kids can duck inside. They don't like the idea of kids falling in the water when bumped by others - which happens all too often in the begining.

So, we start surveying the target market. As resuts start to materialize, and if the project seems feasible, we shoud atract the big cat manufacturing companies. They will have to cooperate with each other and with the new class to make their total market grow. Reason: ultimately, they will be the main economic beneficiaries.

Only then can a complete project be developed. But by project I don't mean a boat project: the project must include at least the class rules (especially with regards to construction); a global marketing plan based on the need to update the Optimist and, only then, the boat itself.

What some may not like is the inclusion of big manufacturers in the elaboration of the class rules, marketing plan and boat plan. They master their business and the constraints for serial production and sales better than we do, so this is necessary, in my opinion.

Work plan - first draft:

1-Survey
2-Concept definition
3-Feasibility study
4-Class rules
5-Marketing plan
6-Boat design

In paralel:

a) Creation of a core group to start the class.

b) Atraction of the main cat builders around the world. This probably means two US companies, two or more European companies and other smaller companies from around the world (Australia, New Zealand, China, etc.)

c) Atraction of the main cat classes organizations, like the Tornado, A Class, Hobie 16, F16, F18, etc. They are also beneficiaries from the entry level cat.

d) Class creation.

Luiz