Phill,

In all kindness I feel that this is a good time to suggest further and deeper analyse your idea's.

Just an extension that plugs into the mast and a different sail.

Your idea's, like this one, have been tried in other classes already and found wanting. The lasers tried this trick with the 4.7 rig and found that it was insufficiently controllable. They now sell a complete different mast and sail combination for the 4.7 version then is used by the radial and standard version.

Rotomoulding. Do the math and find the reason why the 3.95 mtr long Hobie wave (115 kg) actually weights more then a F16. Rotomoulding hulls are not lightweight by any stretch of the imagination.

The hulls will not have the normal high loadings from bridle etc because the free standing rig will transfer the loading through the front beam.

I know you hate my push rod setup but there is a very good reason why it is there. You can't just have the beam lift the hulls out of the water. As you know yourself even the 80x2 is very bendy when held on one end while the other end is lifted. The reason why say an F16 platform is so stiff despite this flexibility is the result of how the forces are actively working against one another. This aspect of your design really needs some closer analysis. There are some pittfalls here that your current design doesn't address yet.

... although sheeting from the ends of the rear beam instead of the centre will help a little with this.

That is not true. Interestingly enough is will actually increase the bending of the from beam under the mast step loading. Like I said there are some interesting things going on here.

I'm sorry, you are not "a week away" from completing the design.

My flame suit is on, so everybody feel free to "give it to the Dutch guy we all love to hate"

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands