I don’t think that the F14 is dead, I think that it’s time is not quite here yet – but it WILL come -

I believe the F14 will find its public after an even smaller kids' cat becomes available.

It is unlikely that a kid who started in an Optimist would upgrade to an F14. It is also unlikely that more experienced sailors "downgrade" to an F14, regardless the higher skill requirements. When going small they seem to want simplicity (Wave).

I only see kids who start in a smaller cat upgrading to the F14 as they grow heavier (and the F16, Tornado, etc. later on).

Think about it: there would never be a strong 29er or Laser class without a strong Optimit class to feed them. That's why if you want a strong F14 class, first you must support the F12 or another entry cat for kids.

By the way, I have doubts regarding the name "F12".

The Optimist could have failed if it was named "Pessimist", "Storm" or "Rocket". Those names tend to scare parents, who ultimately decide what entry boat their siblings will sail.

At least for me, "Formula" is associated primarily with Formula 1 car races, high speed, high technology - and very famous accidents. It is cool for the upgrade boat (F14, F16, etc.), but I'd rather use a name that inspires only positive thoughts and confidence.

"KidCat" wouldn't be bad: it's short, easy to say, meaningful and evocates the close relationship between a kid and its pet (= home). KidCat delivers the message that it is a cat designed and intended for kids. This line of thought runs paralel to a kid's toy, implying fun, safety and simplicity. The name says it all. Just my opinion, naturally.

Luiz