Rhino, you did a great job of summarizing the key misconception about the intent of the Hobie policy. It's only a zero-sum game if no new blood is being brought in.

One of the leading contributing factors to the Hobie-only policy being implemented in the first place was the perception of the class that we were losing classes to non-Hobie boats because our smaller fleets were being reduced below critical mass (for example, if you have 7 dedicated Hobie 18 sailors, take 3 away and put them on other boats, the Hobie 18 class is now down to 4 boats, you lost a strong 7-boat class).

The "problem" was identified as competition for Hobie sailors from other classes. That is what ultimately drove the class decision.

In New England, this decision came about 3-4 years too late, and all the fleets except one (448) were reduced to too few remaining Hobie sailors to continue as Hobie fleets. This will take a very long time (if ever) to recover, and was not the most popular decision of all time because of the friendships that had built between members of different classes, many of which had previously raced together on the same boats.

Barry, to directly answer your question, I'm not saying we have to choose a type of boat over our friends in the sport, but we had to choose to keep having one-design Hobie classes. We would have preferred that those who chose to leave the Hobie classes would come back (on Tigers, etc.), but that has not happened.

I've personally been not racing for the past two years due to pregnancy and baby. I have offered to assist in running any of the events in the area, regardless of class. I ran a number of events in Newport this past summer, as well as some Hobie events, and am more than happy to help when invited. Shoot me an email and we can discuss for 2008, or you and Patricia can come to my house on the 19th for a party Michelle, Hunter and I are having.

What are the dates for BSSC? I have commitments for the weekends of June 7 and June 14, other than that, I'm open.

Mike