Wouter and Mark Schnieder make valid points and you would be well advised to listen to them. I have been racing Hobies since the early 1980's. I started on a H-16/#572 and then purchased a H-18/#9458 in early 1985 which I still have and dearly love. I have had my issues with Hobie Corp and the Hobie Class Association. But lets get back to Marks original question “How do you grow a class” by looking at some of the experiences I’ve had. Please do not shoot the messenger, but try and listen to the message.

My credencials are that since 1984 I have attended 150-200 Hobie Points Regattas and a similar number of Open Class events, being a member of Hobie Fleet #54 and CRAC.

My H-16 was indestructible., and great fun with its McGibbons sails. Then I was given a ride on a H-18mag …. my H-18 carries “red foam” 84’serial numbers on 87’/88’ replacement hulls . By the end of the first season the hulls were cracked under the lips for 3’ with most of the crack in front of the crossbar. I put up with a leaking , creased, soft boat trying to race it, taking me 2yrs of wrangling to get them to finally replace the hulls. Then they wanted to pro-rate them as 3yr old hulls. And the sails …. Why is it that I needed to have separate sets of battens for each mainsail??? Could it be that each one varies by sometimes as much as 4” in cord length! (I still have the sails … does anyone want to place a bet on whether I am correct or not.).

Please note that I just finally purchase a new set of H-18 sails: that Matt Bounds saw at this years NAs, and I was very pleased with the level workmanship and shape. But ….I ordered a plain white set, no numbers , no H . I wanted to use MY numbers that I’ve had and am known by … call me superstitious…. Actually my boat has all blue trim and originally had “blue Hawaii” sails and I wanted blue numbers and a blue H. No cost of ten numbers or installation costs thereby increasing your profit margin ….. and you wanted to charge me 30$ for NOT installing them, what marketing genius is that!!!! We get that by continually numbering the replacement sails you inflate the class’s apparent size … but us old timers like our numbers.

Let’s list how many times the H-18 class has been subdivided by newly designed Hobie products starting with: H-18sx, H-21, H-20 that had the same crew weights and similar adjustments. Combined that with the fact that the H-18 sailors could not get any changes or improvements to the H-18 because the NAHCA held its meeting at the H-16 Nationals. …. Do you think that there was any H-18 sailors at the H-16 Nationals ??? The last straw for me was that we had proposed that the crew weight for the H-18 class be raised to 310 or 315lbs to gain some separation from the H-16 class. This was voted down even though the majority of the H-18 sailors voted for it. This caused me to take my H-18 apart and sail my P-19. When Wally Meyers saw me at the Wildwood Classic in 06’ he shook my hand and said “Harry, how long has it been since you’ve been at a points regetta? 10yrs??? “. He was right, Wildwood 96” was my last points regetta

I am a member of HCA-NA currently, who is the H-18 class captain??? Bob Merrick is the H-16 class captain, not my H-18 class … or H-17 ….or H-20 …or Hobie Tiger … The impression I always have gotten is that we are “the red headed stepchildren” in the organization. Each class of boats should have a National and Divisional class captain and the classes should be able to propose, vote, and implement changes if it only affects that individual class. All issues that cross class lines must be approved by the whole membership. Simple.

And Hobie Corp must be diligent about QUALITY … QUALITY …. QUALITY … Gentleman, I can place in front of you a H-18 that weighs 395 lbs and another that weighs 435lbs !!!! That is One-design ??? And most recently, I am very familiar with Danny Flannigans boat, the conditions at the time and personally inspected the wreckage …. The port hull failed under load because there was poor surface prep of the mating surfaces thereby leading to eventual catastrophic hull failure by the delamination of the foredeck cleanly from the “hull” portion with no evidence of bonding between the two surfaces. … Us “old timers” know what we were looking at and you have used up a lot of credibility in Div 11 with that one. And the boat is still not correct , I suspect the replacement hull weighs differently from the remaining original hull, the mast is tweaked and the sails stretched from the wreckage recovery stage (… you did well boys… What did I read about ten years of credibility??? It gets used up very quickly with decisions like those)

So how do you grow a class? First, start with a manufacture that constructs the same quality product all the time, every time! ( and stands behind their product no question asked) Secondly, Have a class association that makes it possible for all to participate in and make decisions particularly those that effect them or their classes; and those that it doesn’t effect don’t get a vote. Be inclusive wherever possible, not exclusive.

How to destroy a class? HOBIE ONLY

One side comment, Wouter Hijink, Mark Schneider, and Matt Bounds have all filled out their profiles for example. Some of you taking potshots from the sidelines haven’t, choosing to hiding behind first name only profiles. I respect gentlemen who stand-up and identify themselves and their position, even if I totally disagree with them. You others, I call you WEANIES.

Wouter, Mark and Matt it would be my pleasure to buy you a beer (or other beverage) the next time we see each other. Travel Safe Gentlemen

Harry Murphey

Harry
Thanks for the well thought out comments. I've written some thoughts on the Hobie Cat forum where I think we could continue the discussion in a more focused way if you are so inclined.
Bob Merrick
HCA Chairman

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=42609#42609