I just love the line, "maybe they would come back (to Hobiedom) on a Tiger??" Let me explain my situation and this will show you how misquided you are in your thinking. The reason I moved from a H-16 to a H-18. At the time I wieghed 225lbs, and the crew wieght is what??? (285lbs-225lbs)= a six year old!!! So I moved on to a boat with a larger performance envelope, a H-18; Since to be competitive on a H-16 you have to 285- 305lbs and I was never going to be competitive in that class. So I got a some novel ideas: lets have a H-16/2 with a H-18 type boom including downhaul, mast rotation,and outhaul adjustment with a vertical-cut dacron sail to increase the performance envelope. Or you can just buy a H-18!!! It's crew wieght is what??? 295lbs currently??? And I don’t want a spin boat for buoy racing so the Tiger is not a option. If I had my option it would be a new H-18mag!!!!

Now I race currently with my niece Megan (12yrs old), and she will not race a H-16, "Uncle Harry there is nothing for me to do, its so boring (I'm just a sandbag). And this year she wants to get back on the P-19mx she sailed on at 10 & 11 years old!!! I'm just waiting for her to grow a little more because at 300lbs crew wieght the P-19mx is a wee-bit overpowered when the wind hits 12+ knots for us. The reason she likes the Hobie events is because of George Kunney, Dave Raliegh, and all the other people. She is still stoked about beating Dave and George in the last race at the last regetta (Sharkey's Cup @ Rehobeth)and getting the horn/gun!!! This year she goes to sailing school on a LASER as there are no schools for multihulls (currently). I believe Mark S made this same point

Why do I own a P-19??? Because when I purchased it in 1991 the first batch of H-20 Miracles was being RECALLED because of hull failures at the rear crossbars because of poor assembly/workmanship!!! (Do any of you remember this, how about you, Rich McVeigh, I seem to remember you having one) Remember, I had been through the "RED FOAM" H-18 issues and I do not like repeating mistakes. I have watched Hobie Corp make the same mistakes time ... after time .... after time ... Hobie Quality??? I laugh "french-like" in your direction !!!! ( I apologize to you Frenchman out there) Now do you understand why I’m so interested in Danny Flannigans issues ??? and his 1-2 yr old boat. Hobie just repeated their old mistakes AGAIN !!!! Remember: QUALITY … QUALITY …. QUALITY !!!!!

Now Matt Bounds: I looked at your list of HCA-NA people, lets see, Bob Merrick: H-16 , Rich McViegh: H-16, Paul Ulibarri: race committee ( and an excellent one at that, Thanks Paul) Chris Wessels: H-16? , John Mork: H-16? , Lori Mohney: H-16 or Tiger ? Do we see a trend? Now are you beginning too understand why the rest of us are just plain fed up. I am just tired of beating my head against the H-16 power structure/elitism that I percieve and see in HCA-NA . Who knows if I’ll re-up this year. I need to see some changes!!!

Next: “ Unfortunately the decision (Hobie Only) came 3 or 4 years too late” . POORLY THOUGHT OUT DECISIONS ARE NEVER TOO LATE ….. BUT ARE TOO EARLY!!!

And the evidence is that is was a very poor decision, please, why don’t you count the number of lost regattas, in SE USA, New England, the Midwest …. There has been time enough to see if this “Hobie Only” program is working …. IT’S NOT! It is time to “can it” while there is something to salvage!!!

Note: Matt, keep working on the youth program, that is our future. Please remember what I said at the H-18NAs and Rehobeth about the youths at other Championships other then the Youths Championships. At the H-18NAs by my count 1/3 of the boats participating had a youth on board. Give me two or three more years and Megan will be competing as “skipper” most likely on a H-18 at the NAs , remember by 12 yrs old she has outgrown the H-16 already and will not go back. And I know of several others (kids) with the same opinion …. They are smart and technically inclined, (they are better educated at their age then I was!)

Note 2: to Bob M , Danny’s issues were solved too Hobie Corps satisfaction … not his. If I may use an example: Hobie Corp is pulling a “FIAT” , you remember FIAT cars, they blamed the customers for their quality issues …. And what happened to FIAT???? One bad quality issue can cost you immencely more in future sales then the replacement cost of the original. Marketing studies in the auto industry show that it is greater then 18 to 1. And all the resulting damage to the mast/sails is because of the original hull failure at 1 mile out at sea where the priority was to save Ryan and Dannys lives. Hobie Corp should replace the WHOLE boat. If it was a wrecked car what would you like to be done with it??? Me … Total It !!!
I am at your disposal sir, please contact me at your convience.

Sincerely
Harry Murphey