Organization and the INDIVIDUALS who take initative and makes things happen. Organization help, but without the individuals who cares, gets involved, starts things up and follows trough nothing much happens.

Good Point Rolf.

If you wanted an answer to the question
"What is your class doing to grow participation at the nationals?"

You would start with the Class President.

Tornado... Alain Dubec....
A class Bob Hodges.
Hobie 16 Bob Merrick
F18 Dan Delave
Shark Christina Perrin
Isotope Frank Meldau
Hobie 18 ???

Oops...
So, I asked an 18 sailor who went to their nationals this year. ... who is your class president ? leader? .... Ugh... don't have one!
Did you have a meeting of your class at the nationals .... Ugh No!
Could you answer the question.. What is your class doing to grow participation at the nationals?.... Ugh... probably nothing. but No... I could not answer.

Hobie 17
Hobie 20
Nacra 20 ???
Nacra F17 ???
F16???

I did not know and I could not find a name for any of these US classes either. Somebody is making stuff happen.. so there must be some leadership.

If John Williams and US Sailing wanted to hold a meeting of the class leaders of each class... and he reported that about half of the classes had no obvious representative leadership that could speak for their class.
How do you think they would view us?

A reality check is in order here and We should not kid ourselves that all is well. When you can't find a person... much less the individual that Rolf is describing. It is likely that you have problems.

Oh... right... that Olympic thing worked out so well for us.
Imagine that!

crac.sailregattas.com