Oh Mike,

You are asking me about one of those "stupid" things.

Once upon a time many years ago in the land of NJ, I brought two friends to the Wildwood Classic. They both had H-18mags and did mostly distance races on the Chesapeake and this was their first Hobie Points Regetta. So at the "Skipper's Meeting" we asked "would any of the other H-18s have an issue of us racing our (3) H-18 as magnums or did we need to remove our wings? No-one had any problems with our sailing as H-18mags in the H-18 class, so we thought. Upon racing this person came up to each of us AFTER a race and said "I protest you" and filed a protest. I will identify this person for you, "Gail Force", do any of you in Conn remember her??? Now since the race committee hadn't thought to post a notice on the "board" the protest was upheld and the three of us were DSQ'd. Now do you think my friends EVER attended another Hobie Points Regetta??? we packed up our boats and left!!! and they have never been back.

So we are at the H-18NAs and there is someone walking around inspecting the boats and saying " I can protest that(boat) ... oh, I can protest this(boat).... Now all the things they are picking out are very minor infractions that have NO effect on the boats performance or speed. In my case it was how I have my trap bungies rigged.

Note: there is a thread "Hobiecatcommunityforum H-18/H-18sx" with the question "How do you prevent cutting your Magnum Wing cover with the trap bungies" could someone paste this section over there because this is how you do it. I'm not registered for that forum ... yet)

So I have my trap system configured like this since the issue is the lack length (stretch) and resistance of the bungie. take (4)/side Harkem model 404 or 224 Blocks and tie them with 1/8 spectra to the Fore and Aft bungie tie off points under the gunwale along with attaching the other (2) by passing the spectra through the small through gunwale fittings (near the shroud) and tieing the two end together as short as possible. Take a piece of 3/16 Bungie and starting at the Fore Trap pass it through the block at the gunwale in front of the shroud, run it forward and around the block under the gunwale, then Aft to the Aft block and around it, returning through the block attached aft of shroud at the gunwale, attaching to the aft trap. OK?? this gives you enough stretch (20'/side of bungie) and reduces the resistance. It also removes the chaff point at the gunwale pass through. OK??? This makes it so the trap ststem will work with or without Wings, there is enough stretch that you do not need to rig the traps outside of the wings. Reach in, grab the trap ring, hook-up, go out!!!!

Now for the issue: the rule reads that the bungie "MUST" pass through the through gunwale fitting and no relocating/repositioning of the bungie is allowed. The intent is as I read it is you are not allowed to move the traps location by moving the through gunwale fitting. But technically my system passes the bungie through the block not the through gunwale fitting and it has moved by maybe 1" fore or aft depending on the trap. Note that the bungie will last for several seasons not just weeks.

So, lets invest a week off from work, a week of Hotel rooms ($$$), a entrance fee, gas/mileage on a truck (600miles)... And we are going to risk it in the "Protest Room" over a protest ....

I am 1/2 Scot/Irish, 1/2 German and ALL hard-headed. My ancesters were those guys who stripped naked, painted themselve "blue" grabbed a huge sword, and ran at you screaming to the heavens at the top of their lungs ...
Does the word conniption come to mind??? It is not pretty and you will know 3 states and 2 counties away that I am pissed off. And if I focus my energy on you ... you will not enjoy it. So I try to avoid situations envolving "sea lawyers" and what I consider CHICKENSH_T, OK???

Steve's situation was similiar in my opinion, but I will leave it to him to explain if he wishes.

Personally if I was on Race committee, I would have protested Gail on Poor Sportmanship, handed her entry fee back and sent her home. And I was not pleased with this individuals mindset at the H-18NAs.

I've been known to lend my competitors parts and fix their boats, holding up a race until they are ready. It is to me, more important to win on the water, NOT in the protest room, OK???

Harry Murphey