Originally Posted by Jake
Let's hold off the lynch mob heading for EP for just a little while - they seem to have had an honest quality issue with the glue on the sails and have expressed an open willingness to deal with the issue. Besides being a little extreme, if we continue down this big negative loud path, it could actually inhibit an agreeable resolution.

This kind of thing is NOT that uncommon. As was recently relayed to me by another Tybee sailor, a similar thing happened with Melges 24 spinnakers made by North Sails some time ago with them blowing apart at a steady pace at a North American or World's Championship (I don't recall which).

Give EP a chance to make it right - I'm sure they will as they are a reputable sailmaker and have been making Nacra sails for a loooooong time and I would say that, in general, their quality is at least on par (if not substantially better) than many other manufacturer supplied sails. These things do happen in all kinds of business and technology and while I think it's reasonable to expect recovery on the equipment loss/failure, we should also focus on learning from it and add one more sewing/reinforcement task to our preparation for a race like this.

No lynch mob, and again this thread isn't about EP. I just got off the phone with Harry and he's being helpful, we'll see how it pans out. He's making an effort to find the problem.
This thread is about the future of the Nacra 20. I'm with you it'll be awfully hard to get me off of this boat. It's more important to me than Chuck and the Tybee 500.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White