Originally Posted by Kris Hathaway
6 - F-18s
17 - N20s
Next year the winds will favor the N20s and it will be a different tune. ...

Yeah, assuming that the 20's continue to support the race. I'm not saying anything - I'm just saying that I'm tired of feeling like I get kicked in the head for all the effort...not to mention all the energy Velocity put into getting boats on the line.

The funny thing is this; I don't think it has anything to do with what boat is faster / better. They've been mumbling this thought for over a year now and I think it's waaaay to early to even consider it. FIRST; nobody knows that the attendance this year (by either the 20s or the F18s) wasn't a periodic / tidal thing or even a fluke resulting from the collective efforts on part of the sailors (who feel a little insulted now). Second, they haven't reached the maximum number of boats (30) yet - so why would you even start to consider limiting the classes?

Clearly, there's a big push somewhere to see this race with one overall winner scored on handicap. I think this week proved that is a whimsical and silly idea - at least from the water...maybe the spectators enjoyed it? In this kind of racing, scoring under handicap removes the contest from one of skill or ability but places it firmly into the capabilities of the platforms based on what direction and how strong the wind is blowing. Let's call it the "weather lottery" instead of a race.

Frankly, few of the 20's gave much thought about where the F18s were as their capabilities are completely different and we all had plenty of battling to keep us busy within our own class. I raced against Nacra 20s in the Tybee and admired the F18s. I imagine the F18s approached it the same way.

That said, I seriously enjoyed myself on the water with Frank and racing all you other folks. From a competitive standpoint, I feel it was one of the most challenging years so far and certainly the largest fleets I've raced against in this event.

Jake Kohl