What about a new 20? say with an updated hull shape and rig?

For a time there were considerations of doing a VectorWorks 20 footer and even a Blade 20. The latter having more width and was intending to use the Tornado rig. Both of which have stalled and I don't see either being launched.

Personally I think that was a smart decision. There doesn't seem to be a market for a new 20 footer world wide (excepting any 20 footer that is chosen as the new olympic boat). The EU F20 class was pretty much killed when the Nacra N20 boats were reformed into the Nacra 20 One-Design class. Hobie discontinued the Fox shortly after or before (I can't remember) and the Eagle 20's are different with each new boat coming of the small production line. Markets at this time are what ? UK and NL and USA, although I think the UK has phased out the Nacr 20 as well. All other important nations like France and Australia simply do not have a 20 foot class worth mentioning other then the Tornado. And the tornado class is very small also.

Any new 20 footer must therefor make a start of its own and that is not in the card in the opinion of the guys playing with the designs like the V20 and the Blade 20. Additionally, the market in NL and USA doesn't appear to be very large at all. Doubtful if it can carry the development costs.

I understand this has nothing to do with a new Nacra 20; it is just background information. And if any manufacturer will do a new 20 footer then it is most likely Nacra as the others have move out of that range or have become convinced that it is unmarketable.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands