Jack,
I'm not sure where your getting the info from all the "content" N-20 owners, but as of the last week I've had ALOT of correspondence on alot of class issues, from what I've seen it's split . You can't compare the N-20 to the h-16, there's a world of difference. The n-20 is primarily a distance racing machine, it's a very capable marks racer. Not being a N-20 owner your looking at it from an H-16 point of view, which doesn't work.
The status quo will not keep the N-20 growing. No one has a plan, this is just a sounding board, right now. Sounds like your pretty out of touch with what's happening in the N-20 class. The casual bottom of the fleet are where they are going to be whether the hardcore racers get new sails or not. The nationals all ready are in the teens as far as racers go, and your solution is to do nothing and the class will flourish. One thing lot's of folks seem to overlook is that when other 20' boats classes died there was something there to fill the spot. There is nothing to replace the N-20 right now, and I don't see anything on the horizon(read Matt's post).When the 6.0 died it wasn't because the N.E guys opened up the class it died because the Inter 20 replaced it, for better or for worse.Big guys can't be competitive on the F-18, the need for the N-20 is there.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White