Originally Posted by tami
Maybe this is a can of sh!t,

but why can't you 20 boys just do like Mr Smyth always did, and come up with a new sailplan and develop your own stuff? Create your own class, as it were?

I cite examples such as N6.0 Express, Prindle 19MX...

Mark Smith has an aftermarket main for his N20... you can do it!

I'd love to do exactly that, but as Tad said, fear of being cut off by the factory has that option stalled. The 6.0 died after they stepped away from the factory,but there also was the N-20 to fill the niche. NOW there is no boat to fill the niche, so I don't know how it would go. The factory stopped making 6.0s completely after they divorced themselves.
Parts like cross beams, castings, masts, and cast fittings would be pretty hard to outsource if Performance was spiteful enough to stop making them because we ,as owners, took it upon ourselves to change the boats. At this point I think that we've hit the wall and opening up the soft goods(sails, tramps, bags,) on the boat is the only way to extend it's life.
Maybe Carl Robert's was right years ago when he was pushing hard to go F-20, or maybe it's time has come, but something needs to be done. If we (owners) sit back and do nothing the class will go down. Everyone is predicting it, even though there is no proof yet of a major decline. Alot of the voices that are critical of the N-20 are X N-20 sailors and because they have switched are passionate about their new choice.
I would like anyone who reads this that owns a Nacra 20 to PM me their name, E-mail and contact number so I can at least try to get a contact group and possibly an owners association together. I know Dave Ingram and Brian Karr attempted something along these lines and input from them would be priceless if they are willing to provide it.With Perf. being bought out and the tables changed maybe the outcome will be different, we can only hope.
Todd Hart

Jake I guess you can type faster than me.

Last edited by Team_Cat_Fever; 05/19/09 07:45 AM. Reason: Slow typing

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White