Originally Posted by brucat
Too bad more of you didn't participate in the annual meeting, where this was discussed at length.

US Sailing is very much interested in running combined events, and communicated that to me in October 2011. Cost will not be allowed to get in the way.;

In the survey, the sailors say they want the Alter Cup to be a stand-alone event, but the registrations don't seem to be supporting that.

A bid was proposed to use the F16 event as the Alter Cup for 2012, as mentioned minutes are online and Bert would be the best person to answer this question.

Mike

Mike,

I wish to apologize in advance for starting what might turn into a bru-hah, but the poll missed a few things. 1) the poll probably did not capture opinions of most of the people that have participated in past championships because many of them are not internet frequenters and I suspect don't have the patience for this kind of polls. 2) the vast majority of people that participated in the poll probably wouldn't consider themselves for the championship in the short term. They're the ones who pushed in this direction but are not showing up.

The result is an event structured for people that have never attended the event but want to "someday". I used to be one of those sailors. It is effectively just another regatta that coincides closely with another local event and is losing out.

There is a need for this championship but I think the shape and color of it lies somewhere between what the general populous wants and what the top sailors in the country would consider a worthwhile en-devour. These two view points are not the same.

Jake Kohl