Jake... the you I refer to is the collective point of view that the event must be special....not that you are a benficiary.

The current iteration is butted up against another major championship that people were already planning on when this one was planned and is in direct competition with the other event only a matter of weeks apart.

This was a FEATURE.... not a bug.... All of the former Alter cup sailors who advised the committee thought that this idea of back to back events was a true winner... J22 sailors use this strategy for woman's champs and then NAs....

They assumed that the champinoship was Special and top sailors would spend time and money to compete.... The date was the farthest away from the F18 date as possible... The theory was that charter boats would be available. (they are)

The concept is not working...

I see no compelling reason why a BYOB event resticted to the top 30 sailors from 3 x 10 Area Qualifiers would have more appeal?... Its just a second smaller NA's....((where you hope that you got 1/2 the eligible sailors) why would "special" sailors want to attend... the exclusive nature??? .... Makes no sense to me.

Why would the OD class want to have TWO essential NAs... The all inclusive one... and the special one.... I can never see how a class would want this outcome.

In my view... the history and nature of the championship means that the Alter trophy should be awarded at one of three NA's (sloop, spin, single handed) on a rotating basis.

The elite sailors in that disipline means that the best sailor that week wins the trophy.

The rotation policy address all of the multihull racers in the country... every three years... they get a shot at their day in the sun perhaps in their class.

Based on participation at NA's in the three disiplines... you could see 50 boats or more competing...

crac.sailregattas.com