..... It's nothing but a piece of hardware at that point.....

The theory of the case is that competing for the US Sailing Alter cup Trophy is a very worth while endevour... The history and culture of the competitition in all of its previous incarnations is very important to beach cat racers.

If it is just a piece of hardware to the beach cat community... Then I can just stop right now...
I agee... it would simply not be worth it. IMO, All of the details about format and strings attached are small issues.

Bottom line.
What is of value to you?

For me.... I agreed with the above notion that the championship trophy tradition was of value and would do my best to make sure we do not half butt it.

We should also make the championship appealing to the entire community of racers and this is a big turn from recent practice.

We should NOT worry about "special" sailors.... .. by definition... we get the best sailors at a class's NA's....
and for the next year... we have a different discipline... (sloop) and a different set of sailors.... This is a turn from the policy where this event was usally the Second NA's for that select group of competitors.

YMMV.... However, IMO, without your One Design Class's support... the trophy will be retired for lack of participation.

crac.sailregattas.com