Nd
Originally Posted by John Williams
Mike, I can't let that sail by without pointing out that the restricted funds are still there. Would you share the balances of those funds?

I also would remind you that "way too much" is a matter of opinion. The committee had success negotiating an affordable charter fee when the manufacturers felt they got reasonable promotional value; something that eroded over time.

I *fully* appreciate you think the format this year was the only way to make it happen. I hope that the rumors that members of the committee feel the *sailors* are to blame for poor attendance this year are unfounded.

EDIT: "Blame" is an extremely negative word that does not move us forward. Each of us has a stake in the future of this event. Those of us who work with US Sailing to plan the event, based on the limitations we have, and the results of the sailor survey; and our sailors themselves. The committee did its best, with no event scheduled at the beginning of the year, to come up with an event. The sailors need to step up and attend, or the event has no future.

Two key words in your post above: Restricted and Opinion.

It is the opinion of the President, Executive Director, Board of Directors, Championship Committee, and Multihull Championship Committee that the balance of the restrcicted fund, approximately $50,000, barely earns enough interest to support drawing the required $2,000 annual draw per the gift document.

Drawing more than $2,000 per year requires approval of the Board. We were quoted $15,000 to $20,000 to have provided boats for the 2012 event. This is much more than an incremental increase, even over prior years when $7,000 at a time was being withdrawn.

But of course you know all of that. Do you have a new proposal?

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 11/17/12 11:27 AM.