Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
So.... in answer to what does US sailing do for its members... not its customers..

Besides the things that Multihull sailors take for granted or dismiss... like Race Management training, and the Multihull Championship Committee, or the Olympic committee.

there is also a One Design organization.... who are doing this....

US Sailing's 2013 One-Design Symposium:
A Learning Experience
US Sailing's 2013 One-Design Symposium, presented by Gowrie Group, is coming to the Cleveland Yachting Club in Rocky River, Ohio on January 11-13. Enjoy more than 20 workshops and general sessions at this premier event for one-design class racing.

Workshop and presentation topics include:

Racing Rules and their tactical uses
Growing your class and staying strong
Go Fast Tips from experts
Best resources for your class, club or fleet
Attracting young adults
Regatta overview
Class Communications
Sponsorship, Digital Marketing, Brand Management
Successful Fleet Checklist

I will say it again.... it's a club... If you value one of the things the club is about..... you should support the Volunteers.

I would bet that your local club or YRA just can't pull together this kind of program...

I attended the Annapolis OD symposium and though it was spectacular... I even wrote up lots of notes and put them on cat sailor...

Take advantage of the offer!!

I've been involved with these since the one in Annapolis in 2005. They are well worth the time, but you have to do a couple of things to make it really worth it:

• Be very open-minded - they will tell you to check attitudes at the door. It's OK to acknowledge your class, but don't wear it on your shoulder.
  • Don't hang out with your buddies - meet new people that have different ideas that just might work for your fleet / class.

I'll be co-presenting the "Class Communications" break out session with Laura Jeffers, the Executive Director of the Lightning Class.