Originally Posted by brucat
That is what I'm saying.

I recognize that this would require some bravery, but I think we can get there if we put the past aside and work to improve overall benefits of membership.

I can use help on that committee if you're interested, Jake.

Mike

Mike, I appreciate the offer - but I'm not considering that again until there are some other changes (that I'll be glad to discuss offline). It's not "bravery" that's needed for this requirement. I just don't think it will get off the ground with this requirement in place. I totally disagree that the entire class, including those sailors of said class that are not interested in partaking of the qualifying event, must be members and stand by my "rant". I think it's a mistake to require that. This one little thing (and it is little and petty on part of US Sailing) will prevent the qualifiers from gaining traction and prevent events from being interested in hosting the qualifying portion (because they would lose participation in that class). It may work in the big boats, but it just won't fit here. I totally, 100% agree, that anyone that is partaking in the qualifier opportunity should be a member. No question there.

Look at T-backs post just above. I would wager that he wouldn't bother attending the Spring Fever where the F16 is in qualifying mode because he doesn't want to join US Sailing and isn't concerned with competing for the championship. It's more than just the $ thing, it taints the whole thing for some folks. The potential hosting regatta won't want the loss of attendance and would probably decline the qualifier opportunity if this requirement comes with it.

Jake Kohl