Originally Posted by brucat
For the finals, Memorial Day weekend (every year) is an idea that has been floated and has merit (few existing regattas on that date).

No, we don't get to pick and choose rules. Everyone in the selected class would need to be members for that event (qualifier). Everyone else should be encouraged to join.

Won't work - tried it. It alienates people to require them to join something they don't want to be a part of and it makes the organization look LESS attractive. It is not a winning position. The regattas won't want it either as it will affect their attendance. I also challenge the notion that there is some stone-recorded rule that states this. I fully support that anyone that wants their record to count toward the qualification of the event must be a US Sailing Member - but not the whole fleet.

Originally Posted by brucat

BEFORE ANY OF YOU REPLY, READ THE REST OF THIS (a few times, if needed)...

We need to find ways to make people WANT to join. We could use these events (qualifiers) as the locations for the local clinics / rules seminars. I'm sure there are other good ideas.

Mike

You make people want to join by having a valid championship that is attractive and desirable but that doesn't interfere with their lives if they don't want to partake. US Sailing would just as soon attempt to grow the membership with thugs and baseball bats instead of pie and hot women (or men for the ladies).

Jake Kohl