Originally Posted by ksurfer2
I guess I have a really unpopular stance regarding US Sailing within the community that I sail in. I see the good that US Sailing does in training judges, race officials, certifying youth sailing coaches, etc. All of the me, me, me, comments going on are troubling. Sailing is more than just what is going on in your back yard and how it affects YOU. You don't want to support olympic sailing or the alter cup, fine, don't. But, Pete, take a look at this years olympic sailing team....A large number are from right in your back yard...Zach Riley (Finn), Paige Riley (Laser), Mark Mendleblat (Star), Farrah Hall (windsurfer). These are all sailors coming out of your backyard. Why not support them and their efforts??????

No doubt US Sailing does do some good but I liken it to a charitable organization that keeps 80% of what it takes in for admin fees and uses the remaining 20% for doing what it was set up to do. Do you donate to charities that are set up that way? This has to change, clearly changing it from the inside doesn't work so what's the plan B? Accept USS sailng for what it is and ignore its disfunction?

There is also nothing to prevent anyone from supporting our olympic hopefulls directly. Do you really think USS stretches our support $$ farther than giving it directly to the sailors? Do you believe there is no politics involved when distributing those funds?

Karl, I was just like you beating that US Sailing drum then I got more involved than I should have and I kind of miss those days now.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"