Originally Posted by brucat
Thanks Jake.

Just to clarify a few things:

There was a very large percentage of past participants. The survey was disseminated through multiple channels, and this site was not the primary channel.

The old format was not only expensive; it did not draw as intended. A 10-boat event is not considered impressive as a major championship by anyone except a few die-hards. I know they don't accept that, but I've heard it from multiple sources, including past participants.

Absolutely no one wants to "dumb down" the regatta. We need to find ways to make it more relevant and to increase participation. This is proving to be exceedingly difficult, as many sailors are gravitating towards OD events with their limited vacation time and funds.

For that specific reason, I am starting to think that partnered events are the best hope, but we need the support of the OD classes to make this a reality.

Mike

I remember the day when even having a qualifying event at a combined event was not acceptable according the US Sailing. I guess times, they are a'changing. I don't agree with having a US Sailing championship in conjunction with another event. It should be a free standing championship on par with championships at other national levels. I disagree that the low registration count for this year's Alter Cup is proof that it should be combined. I think the low count is due to it's close proximity to another competing event in location and time and a lot of uncertainty in the part of the sailors as to what the championship actually is. Those that I know that would consider sailing an F16 would rather attend the nationals because it is more of a known value at this point.

Jake Kohl