Originally Posted by Isotope42
Originally Posted by bacho
I don't think anyone here would disagree that OD the events are better.

I would!

If I drive 5 hours to attend a 40 boat regatta, I would much rather it is split into two 20-boat handicap fleets than into eight 5-boat one-design classes. Racing against 19 similar boats is much more fun (and a better test of skill) than racing against just 4 that are the same. That is especially true if 15 of the 19 handicap boats are sailed by people I only meet once or twice a year, and the 4 one-design boats are from my local fleet that puts 8-12 boats on the line twice a month.

I liked Spring Fever best when it was scored by the portsmouth yardstick and had huge starts. I've enjoyed Catfest, Tommy Whitesides, and the Outback Cup (et. al.) specifically because I was able to race with a different group of sailors. I can't get that at an HCA sanctioned regatta because they won't let me compete with the H-16s, H-17s, or H-18s.

The only regattas I attend that I feel need to be one-design are the class championships (such as the Isotope Nationals).

Regards,
Eric

Of course you would, those damn isotopes make everyone look silly on a light air lake day.