Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
so why do you think the regional A-cat fleet is distancing themselves from EMSA events? Do they have different needs than the rest of the multihulls attending?

From what little I know of the A-cat fleet, they use similar W/L courses, and while they don't have a spin, they are certainly similar in performance to some (but not all) other fleets. Their boat logistics (setup, trailer, etc) are similar, so the beach/launch areas would be similar as well

Having their own start seems logical, but I suspect that's still not enough to keep their interest in non-exclusive events?

Conversely, is the A-cat fleet using better venues than some of the established EMSA sites? Would they welcome non-A-catters to some of their regattas if there were RC/PRO assistance from those non-a-cat fleets?

I think it's pretty simple. They all live in close proximity to each other and are at the same club. Given a choice, they would rather focus on racing OD and not have other boats on the course. It's not about starts or facilities or anything like that.

The last couple of combined events we had, I heard some comments (although innocent) about our F18 approaching A-mark within their fleet and watching us put up our kite, create a wind shadow (even though it wasn't for long!), and be gone...so I guess it's me. smirk

Jake Kohl