I have had a couple of informal discussions with some folks about this but I'm hearing that my opinion has been relayed a little out of context...so I want to say a couple of things. I've written a post in this thread about 8 times and there is so much involved, I'm having a hard time nailing down any significant point...so I'll stick to the boat type / choice.

Whatever we do, I believe we should compare whatever outcome is being discussed with one short statement about the event. I believe the event should strive to be the premier multihull championship from which the best multihull sailors within the US are determined.

I don't believe a handicap BYOB event is very elite. It's fun to think about and if the event is on the ropes of failure, it's worth a shot to see what happens. It would also be interesting to see sailors rotate on those different boats - assuming that the types of boats are spread out evenly and we could get something close to an even rotation among boats (very difficult). I would probably participate to get a taste for it but it's going to elevate "the boat" above "the sailors" and the championship focus will be tilted toward "the boat". Hell, the sailors already form lemon-opinions about the SMOD boats provided in the past (statistically, the boats have been proven to be exceptionally even).

I think that chartered used boats is a little better compromise but the condition and rigging of the boats is going to be very inconsistent unless an incredible amount of cash and effort is put into them...and most boat owners wouldn't dream of offering up their boat if someone is going to change lines around.

I much prefer the SMOD model we have now if it can be sustained. I got a lot of negative feedback the year Rick started talking about doing it on Hobie Waves (or Hobie 16s) although I was a fan of the idea...and still am. I would be there.

On the topic of SMOD boats, I think we've really been in a rut with the spin boats...but I also know that a lot of that is driven by what's hot and who would supply boats. I think making more wildly sweeping changes in the boat de jour would continue to make the event a little more prestigious and open to all the various "great sailors".

Jake Kohl