As a past competitor I like the current format. I'm not a fan of US Sailing and their non support of our championship. Seems to me that US Sailing would help us and support our championship in anyway possible. Not just ask us to pay US Sailing for the priviledge to run their championship.

The championship has become better every year that I've been there. I particularly liked the fact that we had younger sailors from a few areas at the last championship that could sail in the top of the fleet. It was great to see these younger teams kicking my butt.

I can go to a Portsmouth race any weekend I want. Why would I want to travel across the country to attend one. The Altercup gets the best teams because they can fly in and not have to haul their boat across the country. Having it in the Spring keeps it from competing with Nationals.

They should never own boats to have it on. The boats change every year and continue to improve. When I started competing I thought the boats had peaked 20 years ago on my Prindle 19. They have come a long way since then. The new curved foils are obviously the new thing that will certainly be finding it's way into our boats in the near future.

Good luck and get out there and find a manufacturer that will help provide boats. I have bought Altercup boats before to help support the cause after the event. I don't recall any event where the dealer got stuck with boats he couldn't sell.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005