John,

I know you mean well and have a long history with the event. What I am simply saying is that regardless of what people "think" the event is, the governing documents do not hold us to one-design, regardless of past events, or your personal history, trials and tribulations.

As for the name Alter equals one-design, well not exactly. I know that's what he built the sport on, but ask any non-cat sailor what Hobie means, and they say catamarans. Many people here have commented over the years that no matter what brand of boat they are on, they are occasionally referred to as Hobies.

Only Hobie Cat racers identify this with one-design racing. Most of the outside world doesn't even know that we have organized racing, of any kind.

And let's face it, it's not cat sailors that are running US Sailing, so we have to educate them.

Don't shoot the messenger, I am just trying to clear the air and stop the false perceptions, because they can only serve to make us fail.

Just as everyone here freaks out if US Sailing says something can't be done but can't point to a governing document, the same is true in reverse. We can't demand a one-design event if the deed doesn't require it.

There may be other ways to get there, but first we have to prove that the majority of cat sailors want that, and again, that is why we have the survey. Contrary to the egos here, it is entirely possible that there are a lot of cat sailors in the US that don't post here, and don't feel the same way you do.

I will support the results of the survey. I've said it before, that could mean: No change, complete rework, or something in between. Of course I have an idea of what I would like (and it would probably shock most of you who are desperately trying to pin me down), but it is not my job to push my own personal agenda.

Mike