I believe the event should strive to be the premier multihull championship from which the best multihull sailors within the US are determined.

I don't believe a handicap BYOB event is very elite.

Jake
So which is it... premier.... Best.... or elite?

By "Premier" I assume that would be an event that supercedes NA's of the major NA classes. (F18's, A class, Hobie 16s) in the public's eye

How do you do this?
How do you expect the NA champ Hobie 16 team at 290 lbs to compete against the first place NA F18 team at 340? The teams suit the boats they race and they practice on their boat. So... you can race one design on a Hobie 16 or F18... but the inherent unfairness will not make the event "premier".... just tilted to one team or the other.

What event EVER determines the BEST multihull sailor? If last years NA or Alter cup champion does not show up and race... is the current winner somehow diminished? .... NO! How do you determine... "Who is the best multihull sailor"? Answer: you take a vote!
You have a championship regatta and you award the trophy... that is it! the comparison game of " BEST" is a fools errand left to the internet or a bar.

What do you mean by "elite"? The current process picks 10 competitors from One design classes and petitions and one of these guys usually win the thing. So at one level... the selection committee did a good job of picking an elite (selected by committee) field... But... saying that the US championship is more elite then the A class or F18 or H16 class NA's. is not a good thing. (think Linsanity if you watch the Nicks)
The hobie 16's have an invite only regatta in Puerto Rico run by Figaroa. I am sure it's great fun and based on resume, it is a very elite regatta with tough competition... but you don't hear the H16 class hyping this regatta over the Hobie 16 NA's.

Using the principle you proscribe leads to the unsupportable mess we have now!

You would be better of just cutting out the BS... Basically you want an invite only regatta for "elite or selected" sailors. Cut out the rest of the flim flam in your guiding principle and sell that!

Dave summed up the irony of it all when he noted that the qualifiers are decided on handicap... Why all the griping about a championship on handicap?

crac.sailregattas.com