Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
I have no doubt that is true..
But Consider... how much it would cost in travel, per diem and hotel to pay the travel of a staffer to even attend and work the event! So... can't live with em... can't live without em.

I do not want to be in the position of defending USSA policy on these events, personnel, negotiating skills,competence etc .. I know there are problems and limitations...

When everybody thinks they are getting screwed over ... the solution is clarity in expectations, finances and philosophy.

This is the opportunity to sort that out.... or the volunteers won't be there to run ANY event.

You are exactly right Mark, this particular staffer that we are talking about is not a valued asset but a liability so paying to have that resource there is counterproductive. Again, someone that could be easily replaced by volunteers and the championship would be better off for it, IMO. I'd also like to point out that Mr. Rejda got himself to Houston and LA on his own dime and "worked" the week. This is a volunteer who had to take time from is day job and again "paid" to be there!!!! The contrast between these two inviduals is crazy obvious, for one it's just a job, for the other it's a passion! Which one do you think served the championship better?

Now your point regarding clarity of expectations. US Sailing made it crystal clear what the expectations were. The problem was it was a complete screw job! So I/we had go begging to US Sailing to please please work with us so we could make sure that we not only gave the sponsors fulfillment but the host and provider didn't get completely boned in the process. This is where I leaned heavily on the previous chairs to develop the best approach to resolve the situation. I guess US Sailing got tired of having to negotiate.

Now if you do exactly what US Sailing wants and take exactly what's given and you’re grateful for it then things will be just peachy keen. Anything that goes outside those lines and you just might earn yourself a "Thank you for your service" letter.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"