Dave, I am sure those issues will re emerge when someone tries to put the championship back on line... It has worked out in the past.... all be it with a great deal of pain on both sides... I presume that it can work in the future..
I have no idea of the details... but i fully support the volunteers walking if the parties can't make it work. Said so at the MHC meeting if you remember.

Matt points out how few people participate in the debate... perhaps they think we are doing a fine job.. More likely they don't give a damn what happens... one way or the other. I think you design a championship that appeals to the elite sailors (max competition) and is open to the rank and file who BYOB.

What event would be unique (I agree with Merrick's point) and competitive enough to get the top sailors in the major One design fleets to spend time and money and compete?

I see it it as an open championship in something like double handed spinaker with charter boats available to the opposite coast sailors and NCAA champs and appropriate class champions.

Open to the USSA membership with a class legal boat or one with a measurement certificate. (Open handles the opportunity legal issues while regatta pricing takes into account the charter boat subsidies needed to make it work.

Everybody has their own boat... (this allows you to run a three day event with 10 races and not mess with equipment redress issues. (Much easier on a host club to run this kind of regatta.

Double handed spin (or sloop or single handed in alternate years) so that a measurement based handicap system can do a fair job rating similar boats.

If the new Mixed Multihull Class made this one of the domestic schedules big events.. And the One design classes promised to work to get their top sailors to the event (subsidize entry fee, provide a boat, ete etc ) I can see enough star power committed to the regatta to attract a lot of sailors willing to pay a premium to see how they measure up (laugh) (or get smoked).

Remember, Mixed multihull will probably have no more teams then the last few Tornado cycles had.... 3 to 5. Putting on a decent regatta will be problematic... Participating in a large open championship would be a good large fleet NA regatta for these sailors.

crac.sailregattas.com