Hi Mini,

No witch, no hunt ;-) You're right, nothing to do except explain how it works (I'm very sorry if I repeat myself).

Here the key point is the fair competition between boat builders (that may explain that nobody complain on forum before)
That's why F18 rules can change, but with one year delay notice.

I point out that process to change rule can (should) start in National Class Associations.
Should start for me, because I do think that the guy who paid F18 should make the F18 rules, not the builders.
You may consider I'm wrong.

For the builders there is no consensus on this issue (not only a couple of primary builder indeed).
The builders/sail makers composed the technical comittee (TC), they take no effective decision.
Here the last report of the TC: http://tinyurl.com/7u5gmhy.

The world council (WC) is mostly composed by F18 owners elected by F18 members/owners.
The WC make decisions, the vote right are weighted on members: the more members there is in a country, the more vote it gets.
You may think, 10 nations, representing 74% of the worldwide members, during the last world council have taken a conservative option.
Then you'll be right.

But you have to consider that here the WC decision upon paint was only a clarification: no new rule indeed.
To open the rule, to change rule can (should) start in National Class Associations.
Not because a builder want to change the rule or have is very own intepretation.
May be is right, may be not.

And here we are: this storm in a very little glass of water is because the International Sailing organisation (ISAF) just confirmed last week the WC decision.
ISAF said: paint is not allowed on new boat (you can use paint for "routine maintenance" only).

More than this, you may notice, as far as I know: no F18 are banned... very little witch, very soft hunt.
For gel coat, no doubt, please consider the last files: http://www.sailing.org/2129.php

If painted finish is allowed, with or without a paint list (after vote process, not only commercial lobbying), all the builders should have time to organise their product.

Shouldn't they ?

Everybody can cross the line but not before the start.
The real mess is when everybody start when they want.

As word for the end I consider: the more F18 sailors/owners involved in National Class Associations, the better it would be.
If paint issue make F18 people move in this way that will be great.