Originally Posted by macca
Yes Franck, you lost your fight.

Paint was always approved for use and now it has been clarified by a vote of all NCA's that they confirm paint for newly built boats.

I know you and your mates are pissed that you lost, but at least you could do it with dignity.

Andrew, as everyone can read in previous post (or SA forum), paint is your personnal and business fight.
Please be more adult and try to forget loose/win and consider F18 rules and its global interest (which is wider than the very respectable interest of the company you're working for).

Olivier Bovyn, F18 world chairman want to go out from a poor looser/winner confrontation you seem to like.
As everyone noticed, TC advices for and against painting, WC last december clarification vote and ISAF interpretation drop paint finishing out two month ago.
That was, one more time, a mandatory path to go further: derogation as for ShockWave, grandfathering or changing the rule. That may arrive now.

This clear position (paint, except for real maintenance, is not F18 class legal) create an opposition.
You may understand that each action spliting the F18 community is against your own F18 business.

So, in order to get a peaceful consensus, as everyone can find on the f18.org Olivier Bovyn asked the national association what they do wish on several items including paint issue including grandfathering/derogation and changing this (now) clear rule.

You claim to have the results of this poll. Great !

Everybody can notice that I point out the rule changing process, month ago.

In the case that you do not forget some details (that I and everybody can doubt), to change the class rules there is , as everyone can check, a clear process.

Please have the dignity to respect it, and by the way respect the F18 community.
Because the rule changing process involved F18 members. In France at least that is our way and we propose in general meeting the change.

So, to go from a wish (Olivier Bovyn words: "do you wish...") to a rule change, you need first a proposal, which have to be voted then by the world council.
Till now, there is no clear and official proposal (you may have any other sensationnal informations to spread ?)

And then may be you should also consider ISAF regulation which do not accept paint/finishing that (pretend to is enough for ISAF, I guess) improve performance.
By the way you're sure that you do not use one of those in your product (just kiddin' ) ?

Then consider F18 class rules (I know it is borrying):
"A.7.2 Amendments shall be placed on one year's notice unless it is considered essential to act immediately to prohibit or penalize an undesirable feature."

So if the proposal (that may not exist for the moment ;-) for class rules amendment is voted (that is never 100% sure ;-) asap in september 2012 next WC meeting, the rules change will be available on year later, very effective in 2014.

Please do remenber here I just try to explain f18 rules and some facts (please pardon my poor globish), that is my only purpose.

And it is not a fight for me. I do no play anything here so I cannot win nor loose anything.

I'm so sorry I can't continue this interesting exchange for the moment: two weeks of sailing will take my time. Not less than 142 F18 sailors in Carnac 10 days before the Eurocat is more important for F18 that some paint on the hull.