Originally Posted by Buccaneer
First off Sorry no desire to offend or detract from the accomplishments and innovations produced by AHPC. I truly believe that their contribution has been understated! The Taipan should be inducted into the hall of fame.

Yes and I suspect I'm not the only one disappointed in the direction AHPC has taken. Some view it as a sell out and don't see any significant savings (at retail level anyway) to warrant moving production overseas. Of course I understand why you say the VIPER is such a better F16 than the Tiapan. No argument but it's also a hell of a lot heavier! Which is exactly my point. With exception to the Taipan (are they still in production??) they do not "manufacture" light weight boats. That is due only to "love of the sport" no doubt. wink

As for a all Carbon Viper, other then Mecca I don't believe anyone would be stupid enough to build one. Mecca on the other hand has proven his credibility by dropping at least 30K into modifying a Taipan 5.7 (the hulls apparently produced from the same molds that were destroyed by AHPC to make room for the heavier (much faster) Capricorn). And now he wants to raise the weights of the F16 class?? Yeah OK Mecca whatever you say... grin wink grin

I think you will find that the hulls of the Viper and Taipan are around the same weight per Sqm, Its just that the surface area of the Viper is much larger and as such the hull weight is higher.

The platform is much stiffer = faster boat, via the use of larger section beams. If you used the Taipan beams on the Viper you would have a very soft boat torsionally. Even the rear beam on the Taipan was too small even before you loaded it up with a kite etc. I think the rear beam from the Taipan was originally paper tiger beam!

As a previous owner of a Taipan, I have a soft spot for the boat and recently I sailed one in Singapore set up in F16 guise. I then jumped on a Viper and was amazed at how much progression has been made between the two boats. The Taipan is a great little boat, but its just that: a little boat. The Viper is very well suited to the task of carrying the crew weight and a kite.

I have never said that I would buy a carbon Viper, Karl has stated in this thread that if someone made an all carbon F16 even it cost 30k he would buy one today. There's an opportunity for one of you class builders! Customer waiting with cash in hand!

Buccaneer, I am not sure how you accessed my spreadsheet with all my Taipan 5.7 build expenses itemised, but you must have the wrong copy because it cost a mere fraction of what you claim. I am happy to state that the Hulls, foils and mast (carbon) all cost less than $2,500 AUD delivered to my house. You can work out the rest pretty easy:- set of sails from industry friend, some carbon tubes from sponsor, trampoline from same friend who build sails and some assorted fittings compiled from more than a decade of Tornado sailing.

Not so expensive really. Even the trailer, full tilting with sailbox was purchased for $500 AUD.

So, not sure where the 30k went....

The bonus is that I have a great fun boat to play on whenever I get a break in my schedule and Greg (co-owner) and I would have to say that we have enjoyed that project as much off the water (in the build and modification stages)as we have actually sailing it.