Just a neutral observation, from a non-F16 sailor.
I think Macca has presented a valid viewpoint, this does not mean you must agree with him.
The way I see it, the overweight Viper (by 23kg?) seems to be right up there with the other designs, first three places at a recent event? Either weight is of no importance in sailing, which I doubt, or the Viper`s hull shape and configuration has allowed it to sail beyond it`s on-paper capability (would be interesting to calculate it`s SCHRS number on it`s own weight - Blades etc should give it time). A logical outlook on this (if one exists among class members) is that they got the design right and at this point have a superior design to anything they are competing with, but the extra weight they carry makes them seem to be not as superior as they really are.
I take it AHPC have geared the manufacturing technique to allow the boat to be cost effective so it will sell. Where they build it is of no importance, they COULD change the layup and build an all-carbon autoclaved boat with the best carbon mast available, and triple the price, which would lower their customer base. I suspect if they did this and came in at 100kg, and added lead where it fits best, they would be much faster than they already are. I wonder if then all the F16 members would hold onto their opinions so steadfastly. I`m also quite amazed at some folks outlook - that they are "disappointed" at the route AHPC went with the Viper. If a manufacturer wants to build a COMPLIANT boat that has more weight by choice, and is equally fast as the lightest boats, it is their choice. Whether you buy one or not is yours. The only thing I think you could be disappointed about is that some of your preconceived ideas may be wrong, ie that it SHOULD be slower than your boat.
I`m not suggesting you listen to Macca and raise the minimum weight, but I think a more open-minded outlook might be required. Based on his persistence with regard to the matter I can only believe he has a vested interest in getting the class rules amended to favour the boat he will soon be sailing.. wink