Valterri was supplied one superwing (AHPC) mast and by mistake a wrong section but close to the superwing section.

A rigged superwing section without the standing rigging but for the rest everything attached is close to 10kg tipweight, a bare section can have around 6 kg tipweight

I would like to add the following data to the public record.

My own AHPC superwing mast was shipped from Australia (AHPC stock) and was measured (fully fitted after 3 years of use) by the class Chief measurer to be 8.9 kg WITH THE SIDESTAYS AND FORESTAY still attached. These were/are 4 mm thick stainless steel 1x19 wires and weight 1.7 kg together. Therefore these add (0.5*6.0/8.5)*1.7 = 0.6 kg to the tipweight measurement.

As a result my superwing mast has a tipweight of 8.3 kg (although my measurement form says 7.9 kg) and I'm using the heavy (suited to all boats) proctor spreader arms and heavy 1x19 diamond wires (not the lighter diaform wires as is typical on Taipans and newer F16's). I'm also NOT using the lighter T-terminals on my mast but the heavier plates and forks combinations. Basically, due to concerns of costs and robustness (I have the prototype F16) I have a fully sealed and heavy F16 mast. For example the diamond wires end plates are of the Nacra F18 design and I have also turnbuckles in both my diamond wires (not a single turn buckle or even the lighter threaded terminal plus nuts setup). I also have foam seals inside my mast above the internal downhaul system.

The boat by Frank (Vectorworks Blade) was weighted together with my own and his tipweight was measured at 7.8 kg if my memory serves me well. My mast is from 2000 and Franks from 2005. I do believe that the last mast is from another batch altogether as I know AHPC (and VWM etc) have ordered a new batch in the mean time.

These measurements I witnessed myself and I would not consider either of these to be close to 10 kg tipweight. I remember you being present too. I have received tipweight measurements by other owners and their data confirms the situation described above. The only exception here are the masts shipped to Valtteri.

Hans, if indeed your statements are correct then I'm simply claiming here that the data I hold all appear to be significantly lower then the claim that "a fully fitted F16 superwing mast is close to 10 kg in tipweight". Nothing more, nothing less.

I just wish to add the above data to the public record as proof that low tipweights with the alu superwing masts are indeed possible; even when build up using standard inexpensive components (I couldn't get the right diaform wires or lightweight spreaders) by an amateur like myself.

With kind regards,

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 03/18/10 04:30 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands