Originally Posted by macca
Hey, What "new materials" is Matt referring to in his interview? apparently will get the boats down to minimum weight, so I would love to know what these new materials are...

The Diamond inlays that Wouter goes on about? or maybe the unobtanium is the answer?

OK,
Let’s start with the simple things. Epoxy resin is twice as expensive but has not appreciable advantages over a good vinylester resin, buy your logic we should ban it to control costs?

We can build with Rohacel core and still have better structural properties at almost half the weight of the Divinicell style core being used by the big builders. We have nano filled resin systems. My neighbor has a surf board at 1/3 less weight than a standard glass board and he can drop it onto the pavement from his van roof and it will not ding or dent. Think what you could do to your hull weight not having to have extra laminate just to withstand heels, knees, trailers and the beach?

This is just 2 very quick examples of things that anyone could go use today if you wish. Any added expense or processing issues in all likelihood will be resolved within a few years time. And in that time who can predict how many other new technologies may come along. You find carbon fiber now in everything from shoes to rocket ships (most of it is stricktly for marketing bling) but I would say it is pretty common and available technology today. Why if people can build better boats as new technologies are introduced should we as a class restrict ourselves to the dark ages? If you want that there is already a class for you.

If you are actually interested in doing something positive for the F16 class, please stick to the topics you know something about. I am sure everyone would be significantly better off learning and discussing how to sail better and faster.