IMO, a lighter boat can be built using standard fiberglass, i.e, down to the minimum class weight, and still be just as strong. This would drive the boat cost up, however, as the manufacturer's would have to have better quality control methods. I am opposed to banning Carbon outright; Carbon boats last longer and remain stiffer for a longer period of time. Of course, the current F16 build quality is pretty high and the platforms I've seen and sailed on (Blade and Viper) were very stiff, so it may be in the classes best interest to ban carbon fiber in an effort to keep costs low.

Also, many manufacturers are building slightly above class weight, allowing owners to upgrade to a carbon fiber mast and not have to add corrector weights. This is definitely not the norm in other classes (A cats, Int. 505 etc.), where the boats are built underweight by several kg's, corrector weights added and removed by owners over time when rigs change, rigging changes, and moisture is absorbed into the hull.

Scorpion F18