The F18 class does have a very elaborate crew weight system that involves 2 different sail plan sizes and carrying additional lead if the team is really light. I would have to say that the F18 class is the poster child of removing weight as a variable in competition. Makes a lot of sense why they are the most vocal about trying to get all of the F16s to weigh the same. F16s & F18s are at the two ends of the spectrum on which is best for it's class. F16s & F18s are not the same in many ways. In my sailing region, the F18 is heavy and the N20 prevails as the big 2 hander. Each class has their own niche as they currently stand. I for one resent any notion that the F16 is the feeder or little sibling to the F18. That only encourages some F18 sailors to impose their doctrine on our class as though it is a mistake not to.

If the F16 class was as tight as the F18 class regarding eliminating as many variables as possible, we would not be a class of 1 & 2 up teams competing together which I believe is an attractive aspect to our class.

For those that can't handle it, you don't have to sail an F16. The sun will still rise tomorrow. Oh.....the F16 class will still be strong also.

Kris Hathaway