I have weighted one AHPC superwing tip weight to be over 10 kg's, ...

Valtteri,

This is one reason why I don't believe that you were shipped a superwing mast; or at least not one that came from the AHPC extrusion die (maybe it is a copy by another builder ?).

To this day I don't feel right about the situation with regard to the Finnish fleet, I think it was handled very badly, but sadly solving it is outside of my sphere of influence.

I can give you Stealth owner numbers. Their (newer) carbon masts can have tipweights as low as 5.5 kg and therefore have to carry tipweights for official racing. This was indeed done during the GC2007 event.

The 6.0 kg tipweight rule was discussed with some carbon mast builders and they felt it was a good measure to produce a commericially attractive robust mast that would stand up to abuse without being overweight. They said less was possible, but not really necessary.

Overall, this value has proven to be a good compromise.

I also know the superwing masts fitout has been further developped (for example higher hound fitting) and is now better suited to the F16's in the way of flexing. This development was accompanied by further sail development. I feel that if you take a modern superwing rig (like the AHPC Viper) and one of the first F16 rigs (like the Taipan F16's or early Blades) that you will notice some difference as well. The mast/sail combo's have been better tuned to F16 sailing now. I for one will never underestimate the alu superwing mast + sail combo. It is one of the best setups.

But that is of no interest to you Valtteri, however I'm very happy that you have found a suitable replacement (and feel it is a real pitty you had to correct the situation on your own). Personally, I couldn't care less about your mast base height (unless it is 0.50 mtr tall !) and I for one will never protest you on it. Neither will I ever be childish and consider you anything but worthy to comment on this forum or anything other related to F16's.

I stand by the inclusiveness clause that the F16 class was founded upon. That means including Macca, you and also persons like myself. I know several others (if not many) members of this class feel the same way.

So I say come join the fun and ignore the water lawers !

We are not racing for sheepstations as the Aussies say !

Regards,

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 03/17/10 02:34 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands