Originally Posted by Matt M

As if a kilo either way is going to make catmaran racing somehow magicaly equal. Not that it does not have some impact, but it is one of many factors and not the most important by far in comapring the equality of 2 boats.
Matt

Thanks Matt, my point is that you want to reduce the variables in the boats and make it more about the sailor. As you note above, weight does play a part in this so why not resolve this issue. It is one of the easiest to do so.

Originally Posted by Matt M

I still cannot understand why in the world you would want to buy a new boat that you would have to strap lead to though. There are min weight boats out there and several builders who can provide them, so it is not an imaginary limit, when you go to choose
Matt

I still cannot understand why in the world you would want to buy a new boat that is over minimum weight from the factory.

Building boats under min and brining them up to weight is the norm in most other classes except the F16 class. Whether it makes and impact or not (which I believe it does), it is the perception you give to the rest of the sailing world. It may not be important to current members, however if you want to grow your class, you do not want to turn people away with something so easy to fix. At the moment, it looks like the F16 class is amature hour and sailed by punters where a boats performance is of minimal impact to the racing. I know this is not true and there are some very good racers in the class, but it is the perception you are giving out.

Why would I want to strap lead to my boat? I want to know my new boat is below minimum. If the boat puts on weight through water absorption or repairs over the years, it will be nice to know it is still below minimum. Manufactures will also produce boats that are lighter / heavier than others by a few kg. Building underweight gives them a little more room to move. My Capricorn came in at 175.4 kg and was a lightweight amongst the Capricorns which I believe normally come out around 177 / 178. Strapping 4.6kg on the dolphin striker of the Cap was a zero issue. It does not make a difference between a 180kg boat and a boat brought up to 180kg with lead. Perhaps the lead is placed in n a better position of the boat though.

Now, could you please answer what you would believe would be a preferable situation

1 – A class weight where new boats are either struggling to meet min weigh or are over.
2 – A class weight where new boats can be produced without under building to achieve or addition of expensive options such as Carbon masts, beams, hulls.

I believe some people are more caught up with telling the world hey, our class min is 107kg even thought their boats are not.

Matt, how much would a sloop Falcon set me back with alloy beams, mast, spinnaker pole, glass hulls and carbon foils. And how much would this boat way.

Now how much would a sloop Falcon set me back if it had carbon mast, beams, hulls, spinnaker pole?

If a sloop Viper is so quick at 130kg, how much quicker would it be if it was 23kg lighter, had reduced weight aloft, out front (spinnaker pole), was as stiff or stiffer again?

Every time these questions are asked, people seem to duck and weave.

My proposal is why not set the min weight at 115 for a sloop. Restrict the use of carbon to foils, keep the price as low as you can. Grandfather in all current F16s, but lock out the potential for any full carbon big $$$ boats to be produced that will swing the racing more towards boat performance rather than sailor. 115kg is not a large increase and is still bloody light. The F16 class has done a good job getting to where they are now. If they want to take the next step and really establish themself as a popular International class, it is time to tighten up those rules and show the world you are as serious about equal competition as all other International classes.